IN 1954, FORT LEWIS FEDERAL CREDIT UNION (FLFCU) was founded on Fort Lewis (now Joint Base Lewis McChord) by a handful of civilian employees of the U.S. Government who wanted to offer their fellow co-workers an alternative to commercial banks and other for-profit financial institutions.
What was FLFCU started in a small space at the Mt. Rainier Ordinance Depot. As the credit union grew, so did our need for office space. So we moved into the current Main Branch building on JBLM. Our knack for doing things a little differently started even then. For instance, in 1964 the credit union accepted two Angus Cows valued at $150 each and two Hereford Cows valued at $200 each as collateral on a loan for a 1957 Plymouth.
Over the years, our growth in membership has brought the need for new departments, including Mortgage and Business along with an additional 15 new branch locations throughout Pierce and Thurston Counties including our headquarters in DuPont.
Today, membership is open to anyone who lives in the Pacific Northwest, including members of the Armed Forces and their family members, civilian personnel, Veterans, and military retirees.